November 8, 2015

A Sunday's Tale 1

Cleveland is one of a handful of super-enhanced mavericks called Tinface, originally of human descent. Planet Earth had been abandoned by mankind several centuries ago. The earthlings thereafter founded several colonies throughout the galaxy. Deployed from their duties, the Tinfaces led a life of misery among them, unstable minds and restless souls with almost unlimited powers.

The leaders of the colonies had therefore decided to deport the Tinfaces back to the old planet for a recon mission. But what they encountered there was far from being a deserted planet. As a matter of fact, the tattered celestial body had remained the habitat of various kinds of mutated creatures and had moreover become a safe harbor for many stranded voyagers seeking a life below the colonial radars.

Darkness had prevailed. A torn open earth was pumping black wads of smoke out of its wounds. At some hours of day, wasteland turned into glistening oases. The ultraviolet rays were able to wring some life out of a seemingly dreary vegetation. But after all, a rough clime would return. The planet had segregated into eternal seasons, and so had all creatures that populated a coarse and barren earth.

Ironically enough, the few of us that remained were the closest to our ancestors. They used to call us Tinfaces. A sworn brotherhood, unified unto death. Yet, death was not our enemy. Our enemy was our past. Many of us were using their superiority to protect the weak from the strong. Not as an act of humanity, though, but rather to save us the agony.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Cleveland. I bear a name, therefore I am. The craft was reported to touch ground at 1600 hours. I surveyed the site and waited, still. Soon after, I sensed a strange hissing from behind a patch of shrubs to my left. I clutched the handle of my machete with my right hand and drew it slowly.

The beast sprang right at me. Its venom dripping from enormous fangs, the skin light green and brown. For a split second, I made contact with its slit-shaped eyes. A look, both vivid and blank. The skull, as big as a bull’s, split right in the middle, parted to both sides of my blade. The blood it drew blurred my vision. I wiped my eyes with my empty hand, then hurled the cadaver back into the bushes. So much for the afternoon massacre.

My name is Cleveland. I bear a name, therefore I am. A dash of blood. It tastes like the past. Metallic and stale. I ripped out a bunch of jagged leaves and started cleaning my machete. The vessel arrived silently. Its dimensions so immense, it eclipsed the sun. I engaged my BOWFIRE-100 and ducked lower, blending in with the ground.


To be continued ...